Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Norwegian Folks Museum

 The location that I would like to talk about is the Stave Church or Stavkirke that we saw. I was thoroughly impressed with grandeur of the building which our guide did tell us was kind of the point of the way it was built. I also found it interesting that it had may design features that In my opinion bore strong resemblances to the Gothic architecture in other parts of Europe. The church also had some impressive decorations, including some kin of carved wooden gargoyles above the entrance, and a door which had carvings out of Norse myth. I was also impressed by the craftsmanship of the building, and seeing the vast practical knowledge of Norwegians at this time, which after our visit to the Maritime Museum, I see was widely applied to any situation where it worked. All in all, I found the Stave Church to be the most impressive and interesting building on our tour from a historical and social perspective.

--Jacob 

6 comments:

  1. Lucas- I completely agree with your statements. The stave church was an impressive culmination of engineering and craft knowledge of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacob, I thought the church was so cool too! I also wrote about it and the gothic style art. It was so cool to see in person and I’m so glad we were able to go inside. I also was amazed at the Nordic symbols carved into the door and how they were able to twist that into Christian symbolism. Super cool building that I’m glad we were able to tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex: Yeah Jacob, I completely agree. The church was definitely the best part of the whole experience for me. I saw those gargoyles too, and I wish I asked the guide more about them! Overall, the church made a stunning sight, and I can't believe we got to see it in person. I'm so glad we had the chance to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashten: I agree to this statement completely. The architecture and wooden beams with art presented onto the wood fascinated me. The overall experience of the church was intense, to imagine a chorus being above regular people whom could have been regular citizens is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. William: I think the Stave Church was a spectacular example of the relatively complex building techniques of the time. As an example, the selection of beaches with the exact curvature required was an excellent technique in the absence of beam bending technology, and the "load distribution" they were able to achieve through such was really quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete

SREF Project day

SREF Project day Today I had the luxury of exploring Munich with some classmates and go to some cool museums. The first museum that we went ...