Saturday, May 27, 2023

Teknisk Museum

 


On Saturday the 27th, our group returned back to the Teknisk Museum to visit the remainder of the building, as we only looked through the medical portion of the museum on Thursday. The rest of the museum was divided into sections relating to industry, transportation, music, physics, and electronics and Norway's contributions to each of these topics. I found both the industry and music sections very interesting with a lot of content to interact with and learn from.


In the industry section, the museum had antique equipment on display that would have been used in a factory setting, and they also had a separate section dedicated to the equipment used for logging. I found some of this equipment very interesting to inspect because most of the machines haven't been changed much since the time period these pieces are from. The picture above is a lathe that is on display, and I found it amazing how little is different from this lathe compared to the more modern ones that are present in the Huff Innovation Center on campus. 


Additionally, the music portion of the museum was of great interest to me because the Teknisk Museum had the opportunity to show off a trautonium machine, which I wrote my research paper about. An image of the trautonium can be found in the picture below. I loved getting to see the actual instrument in real life, and I found it amazing to get to hear one of the pieces that would have been played on it. I also just really enjoyed seeing the progression of all the musical instruments that have been invented throughout the ages, and how different instruments have been modified to fit a more modern sound.


-Kaitlynn Fisher

2 comments:

  1. That’s a really cool connection you were able to make between the lathe on display in the museum and the Huff Innovation Center! All of those older tools make me appreciate the power of innovation in improving on an initial invention. I also spent a little bit of time in the music section too and really found your presentation on the trautonium insightful and how the museum happened to have one on display as well.
    -Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. Somehow I must have missed this section on my own walk through. It must have been very cool to see how the instruments changed over time. I find it interesting how the Trautonium can mimic other sounds too.

    ReplyDelete

SREF Project day

SREF Project day Today I had the luxury of exploring Munich with some classmates and go to some cool museums. The first museum that we went ...